The Turnbull Government’s Budget plan delivers for Bonner
Wednesday, 9 May 2018
The Turnbull Government is sticking to its plan to build a stronger economy to benefit all Australians, the Member for Bonner, Ross Vasta said today.
“We are delivering tax relief with a focus on low and middle income earners, investing $300 million in the Brisbane Metro project for Bonner and responsibly returning the budget to balance.
“Under the Government’s economic plan jobs are being created, investment is rising and the budget is strengthening. This means that we can continue to guarantee the essential services Australians rely on.”
Our plan will:
• Deliver lower, fairer and simpler taxes to encourage and reward working Australians;
• Back businesses to invest and create more jobs, building on our legislated tax cuts for small and medium enterprise, supporting businesses to compete globally, delivering infrastructure that industry and workers rely on; and targeting incentives to promote research, development and new technology;
• Guarantee the essential services that Australians rely on including record funding for hospitals and schools, a comprehensive approach to aged care so older Australians can live life to the full, and guaranteed funding for disability services;
• Keep Australians safe by strengthening security at airports and investing more in our intelligence and security service so they can respond to new and challenging threats. We will also protect our unique environment with smarter biosecurity systems and continue to safeguard our borders.
• Ensure the Government lives within its means with a forecast return to modest budget balance in 2019-20, increasing to a projected surplus of $11 billion in 2020-21; no longer borrowing to pay for essential services; and the lowest average real growth in payments of any Government in the last 50 years.
“Our tax relief plan will encourage and reward hard working Australians. 64% of taxpayers in Bonner will receive a new offset of up to $530 a year under our plan to reduce cost pressures on household budgets.” said Mr Vasta.
“There is great news for small businesses with the $20,000 instant asset write-off continuing for another year, helping more than 1000 small businesses in Bonner invest in new equipment. This is on top of legislated tax cuts for small and medium businesses that are helping them to grow, create more jobs and pay higher wages.”
The Turnbull Government’s $75 billion rolling infrastructure plan will continue building the roads, rail and airport networks Australia needs to strengthen the economy, bust congestion in our cities and make rural roads safer.
“The benefits of the Turnbull Government’s infrastructure investment for the communities of Bonner include:
• $300 million for Brisbane Metro project
• $1 billion for the M1 Pacific Motorway for the Eight Mile Plains to Daisy Hill and Varsity Lakes to Tugun sections on one of the most important and congested roads in Queensland.
“We are guaranteeing the essential services Bonner families rely on, by increasing total health and hospitals funding by 30%, delivering a 50% average increase per student in fair, real needs based school funding over the decade, and more child care support to those families who need it most,” Mr Vasta
“As part of the Turnbull Government’s commitment to guaranteeing essential services, our More Choices for a Longer Life plan will help older Bonner residents live healthy and connected lives with increased financial and skills support. 14,000 additional home care places will also help Bonner seniors to stay in their own homes for longer.” Mr Vasta said.
“Our plan for a stronger economy benefits all Australians. After record jobs growth, the proportion of working age Australians now dependent on welfare has fallen to 15.1 per cent - the lowest level in over twenty five years.
“We are also continuing to boost welfare compliance and targeting to help get welfare spending under control while ensuring everyone pays their fair share of tax.
“Our plan for a stronger economy means that Australians can plan for their future with confidence.”